Rodborough Fort commands a prominent position on Rodborough Common overlooking Stroud. Although it is located amongst iron-age earthworks the Fort itself is not as old as many people think.
Strictly it is an inhabited folly and has been known as Fort George and Rodborough Castle in addition to its more correct name of Rodborough Fort. The original fort was built around 1764 by George Hawker (d. c. 1786). It passed through a number of prominent Stroud business men before being acquired by Alexander Holcombe in 1868 who rebuilt the original building on a grander scale.